20131217: New Release with Support for KitKat 4.4

Thanks to our Indian user who sent us the issue of our SDK failure after updating to KitKat 4.4, the latest Android version.
The new release resolves the specific problems proposed by him. We appreciate any suggestions and issues from our clients, who may encounter other issues due to different devices and/or diffenrent platforms.

Screen Shot 1

AnFengDe EPUB UI Component 20131021 is Released

After the last release in June, we kept receiving suggestions from developers, for which we felt the need to publish a new version. In this one the following features are enforced:

1, Support for MIPS, X86, ARMEBI, ARMEBI-V7A chip architectures;
2, Support for Android 4.3;
3, Updated and tested for iOS7 environment.

We’ve been developing UI for the new release. Indeed it has taken us quite a long time. But we think it’s worthy. Due to time and energy limitations, there’s been no optimization for the iOS7 interface. Most of the job with significance has been at the EPUB parsing layer.

AnFengDe EPUB UI Component 20130521 is released

In this release we’ve modified our project because some people want to load the inbuilt books and don’t want users to delete them. We deleted the add book function and delete book function. So if you want to add books to you project, you can put them in the books folder(in android is the assets/books), and the app will load them when it starts.

AnFengDe EPUB UI Component 20121026 is released

In this release we‘ve made a lot of modifications. We’ve realized our UI component based on HTML5 + CSS and used the same js code in android and iOS. Of course the users can always modify our js to get their desired effects, for example, a custom menu. And we’ve added the bookmark feature so that reading can be easier. At the same time we’ve included the the earlier EPub SDK example project to demonstrate the use of it.We’ve made some changes in version structure.

Our Recent Work – Test environment refactoring and UI compatibility issues

It’s been some time now since the last release. During this period, one of the most meaningful thing we did was the refactoring of test environment for EPUB books. Before, we had written unit tests for each API. Along with the more and more types that were supported, and the increase in books that were tested, the maintenance of test code was causing trouble for us. So we stopped to improve testing tools. Now, just put the book to be tested on the internal test site, then the test program automatically runs the testcases. We run these tests each time we commit the code internally. We are very grateful to those members of the epub samples team, whose website is: http://code.google.com/p/epub-samples/.

Another thing, however, turned out to be very frustrating: for UI, supporting the basic flip operation is a matter of course. Since considerable difference exists between different Android versions – simply too many inconsistencies –  providing compatible code becomes very complex. If we consider only the iOS platform, the flipping effect can be made flamboyant. No programmer wants to maintain a very complex codes, which will bring us a lot of pressure in maintenance. Maybe we should introduce a modest version and leave a better UI to the next version, or maybe we give up support for some low Android versions.

Recently, we received quite a lot emails which gave us some valuable suggestions, thank you very much. We will attach great importance to your proposals, I believe that our team will do better, our goal is that our users do the most with the least code.